OnStage Calgary Columnist
It has been two months since BroadwayCon ended. When I first bought my VIP pass, the reaction was one of two.
1. I didn’t know that was a thing.
2. Of course you did.
I waited ten months. For many people in my life, it was a long ten months. I tried to get people to come with me, but no such luck. It was their loss. I look back on the weekend and it is filled with moments.
So many moments.
Next year won’t be the same. Nothing will be. I don’t fit in anywhere. Ever. I have never seen any of The Lord of the Rings, any Harry Potter or any episode of Dr. Who.
None of that mattered for a weekend.
I love Rent and [title of show] so much. Xanadu was the first show I saw on Broadway. The Submission is a script that I still talk about. I saw opening night of a David Mamet show, along with William Shatner.
Now I get to be with people who have stories and memories that I understand.
As I eagerly await the dates for next year, I think about the moments.
- Remember when I boarded a plane to fly from Canada to NYC for the first ever Broadwaycon?
- Remember when I walked to the hotel the day before to do a trial run to see how long it would take me?
- Remember when I waited in line to pick up my VIP pass?
- Remember when we went to the Marked, I’m Marked session?
- Remember when I had a Sante Fe sandwich for lunch?
- Remember when confetti went everywhere, including in all of our bags?
- Remember when the cast of Hamilton spoke and I didn’t understand anything?
- Remember when the Rent originals were there and it was beautiful?
- Remember when Wilson wrote No Day But Today so my friend could get a tattoo of it?
- Remember waiting in line to get a photo with Jon Groff?
- Remember when he remembered me?
- Remember when I learned he talks about me being a dedicated theatre fan?
- Remember when we chased Rob McClure through the lobby of the Hilton?
- Remember when NYC shut down because of a little snow?
- Remember the phone calls that made snowmageddon amazing?
- Remember when Jeff and Hunter came to our VIP event?
- Remember when a tranny ate my shrimp?
- Remember when I made “EPIC” videos about my trip?
- Remember when Joe Iconis jumped off the stage to let me take a picture?
- Remember when I met Melissa’s mom?
- Remember when Seth Rudetsky signed my book and it meant so much that it made me cry?
- Remember when I met Christopher Durang?
- Remember when Hunter Bell retweeted me?
- Remember when I met Jeff Talbot and he took a photo of him and I with the photo of Jonathan Groff and I at The Submission?
- Remember when we all sang Seasons of Love?
- Remember when we became an US for once, instead of a them?